Washoe Native TANF is still serving participants via phone and email. All of our offices are closed to the public until further notice. If you have questions contact your nearest office or call 1-888-612-TANF (8263) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Please check back here for updates!
Closed Federal Holidays, July 5th, Indian Day (4th Friday in September), Nevada Day (last Friday in October) and the day after Thanksgiving
What is Native TANF?
Established in 2003 the Washoe Native Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program is administered by the Washoe Tribe of Nevada and California. The Native TANF program provides temporary aid and services to Native American families that are at risk of welfare dependency. The program focuses on services that strengthen families, prepare workers for jobs and enable recipients to achieve self-sufficiency.
Our Overall Goal: Advance the health, safety, and well-being of the Native American people
Our Objective:Promote economic and social well-being for individuals, families and communities
What is the purpose of TANF?
The goals of the Washoe Native TANF Program are to:
1. Provide assistance to needy families so that children may be cared for in their own homes;
2. Reduce the dependency of needy parents by promoting job preparation, work and marriage;
3. Prevent and reduce the incidence of out-of-wedlock pregnancies;
4. Encourage the formation and maintenance of two-parent families;
5. Provide services in a culturally appropriate way; and
6. Strengthen Native families and empower them to be self-sufficient.